The cost to install a ceiling fan ranges from $150 to $900+.
Wondering what causes the price to go up or down? The price of a ceiling fan installation may increase or decrease depending on:
- The type of ceiling fan you choose
- Installation considerations specific to your home
- The electrician you hire
We’ll go into more detail about each of these cost factors to give you a ballpark estimate of what you can expect to pay for your new ceiling fan.
Want a quote to install your ceiling fan? We can give you an honest, upfront estimate. Call 909-792-2222 or...
Cost factor #1: The type of ceiling fan you choose
Most homeowners will pay for the fan itself separately from paying to have it installed. That’s because most electricians don’t offer different fan brands/models to choose from, they simply install any fan the homeowner has already bought.
That said, keep in mind that the characteristics below will determine how much you’ll pay for the fan itself, before installation costs.
Some ceiling fans are more expensive than others, depending on their:
- Size: Bigger ceiling fans require more powerful motors, which makes them more expensive. A professional can help you determine what size fan you need based on the dimensions of the room you want to put the fan in.
- Design: Ceiling fans with luxurious or elaborate designs will be more expensive than standard, generic models.
- Fan blade material: Fan blades made of wood or steel will cost more than fans with blades made of aluminum or plastic.
- Fan speed: Some ceiling fans can run at varying speeds, giving you more control over the comfort of your room. These variable-speed fans will usually cost more than standard fans that only run at one or two fixed speeds.
- Control options: Ceiling fans that can be controlled via a remote or application on a smart device cost more.
- Light options: Ceiling fans that include built-in lights will generally be more expensive than ceiling fans without lights.
- Intended use (indoor vs outdoor fans): Outdoor ceiling fans can be a little more expensive because they are built with special materials that can withstand exposure to moisture and the outdoor elements.
Again, the characteristics above will determine how much you’ll pay for the fan itself, which will be a separate cost from the installation itself. Now we’ll look at some installation considerations that will also affect the overall cost to install your ceiling fan.
Cost factor #2: Installation considerations specific to your home
The cost to install a ceiling fan will also depend on the following installation considerations:
- The height of your ceiling: High ceilings (10 feet or greater) increase the difficulty of the installation, which could increase the overall cost of the project.
- Electrical modifications: If the electrician needs to upgrade your circuit to accommodate the new ceiling fan, the overall cost of the installation will be greater.
- Replacing an existing ceiling fan vs installing a new one: It’s generally less expensive to replace a ceiling fan instead of installing one for the first time because the basic wiring and mounting box are already in place, which makes the electrician’s job easier.
Cost factor #3: The electrician you hire
Reputable, experienced electricians will generally charge more for their installation and wiring services. That said, these kinds of electricians also offer high-quality workmanship, which will ensure your new ceiling fan will operate properly after it’s installed.
On the other hand, hiring a less reputable electrician puts you at risk of getting subpar or sloppy installation work, which can lead to electrical issues and extra repairs down the road.
How do you know if an electrician is reputable and will do high-quality work?
A reputable electrician will...
- Be licensed and insured in the state of California (ask for their license #)
- Provide upfront estimates in writing (before any work begins)
- Offer guarantees on their ceiling fan installation work
- Have a large selection of positive customer testimonials
Want a quote to install your ceiling fan?
Or, call 909-792-22222. We’ll give you an upfront quote on the cost to install a ceiling fan in your home along with an explanation of our warranties and guarantees that come along with the service.
For more information about the electrical installations and repairs we offer, visit our electrical service page.